Lists of taxa in the genus Notocactus
These lists contain almost all the names of Notocactus taxa that I can
find, in the various sources that I possess. Any names
that are missing, will either be names that are so obscure that they are almost
never seen, or names of recently described taxa. All new names will be added
as soon as is possible.
Note: Instead of using the standard abbreviated form of author names, I
have used, where known, the full names. e.g. "Backeberg" instead of "Bckbg.".
Hopefully this will be clearer and of more use.
If you see any names that are missing then please,
Let Me Know.
The following Taxon lists are available
[ Complete lists:
Sorted Alphabetically [120K],
Sorted by Subgenus, series etc. [100K] ]
| Herterianae ]
| Melchersianae ]
| Brasiliparodia ]
If you know the particular series (Paucispini, Mammulosi etc) a
particular plant belongs to then the best place to look is in the document for
that series. However the best place to search for a plant you are uncertain of
is the alphabetically sorted list.
If you have tried searching in these lists and cannot locate a particular name,
there are a few things that you can try:
- Plants we buy from plant and seed catalogues quite frequently have their
names misspelled. So try looking for names that are a close match.
- These catalogues also frequently sell plants as species when they are
really only varieties or forms. So try using your web browsers "Find" feature.
- Internet Explorer - From the "Edit" menu.
- Navigator - From the "Edit" menu.
- Lynx - Use "/" from the keyboard.
- If the name is of the form "......ensis", try using your web browsers "Find"
feature to find the "......". e.g. We have a plant named
Notocactus ballenaensis. However a plant of this name does not exist in
a list, so use the "Find" feature to locate "ballena".
- If you still cannot locate a name then please feel free to use the
comments form or
email me. Please give me some
details of what the plant looks like to make things easier.
Many sources have been consulted to compile these lists, so I cannot claim much
credit, apart from bringing all the names together in one lump. The major
sources are listed first and the less important and corroborative sources are
- Notocactus 6 by J. Neduchal
- Rod Notocactus by S. Stuchlík
- Die Gattung Notocactus by G. Schäfer
- Internoto 1981-Present
by N. Gerloff, Jozka Neduchal and S. Stuchlík
- Kakteen und andere Sukkulenten 1991-Present
- Die Cactaceae - Band 3 by Curt Backeberg.
- Notocactus by T. Mace
- Notocactus 2 by J. Theunissen
- Notocactus 5 by J. Theunissen
- Kakteen in Sudamerika band 1 by F. Ritter
- Friciana 50 (Uruguayské notokaktusy a wigginsie A. V. Frice)
by Dr. Bohumil Schütz and Zdenék Fleischer.
- Lovec Kaktusu by K. Crkal
- and many other books/journals/plant lists etc.
All the entries in these list will have a format similar to the following:
- orthacanthus (Link et Otto) Van Vliet
- Verh. Ver. Beförd. Gartenb., 3:427, Berlin 1827
Succulenta 49 (11):185-190, 1970
Note: Transitional taxon between Mammulosi and Malacocarpus.
The first line contains the plants name and "n.n.", if the taxon has not been
described, or the author names, if it has. The next line/lines will contain
the details of where the name was described. I have only listed the original
and last description details, to try and keep the document down to a reasonable
Some names will also have a note giving information if the name is a synonym,
if it is a transitional form between one taxonomic group and another, if the
plant has been combined into a different taxon, etc.
Some entries will also include the following form: Prov. Desc.:, this
means that this particular taxon has been given a provisional description in
the publication cited. This description is of no "official" importance and is
included for reference only.
Some entries will have the following form "Near HU 11", this means
that this particular taxon was found near to the finding place of HU 11 etc. I
have also listed any forms and varieties from specific localities that may
be seen in plant lists as Notocactus ottonis var. paraguayensis
Yhaguy Guazu etc.
I have tried to assign all plants to their correct Group, any that are marked
with [?] I am not certain of.
To try to keep these documents down to a reasonable size, I have used some
abbreviations for many of the first description and combination sources.
These are listed below:
- Cact. Plat. Tentamen
-- Cactacearum Platensium Tentamen
- Cact. aliq. nov. ins. Hort. Monv.
-- Cactearum aliquot novarum ac insuetarum in Horto Monvilliano
- Kakt. in Süd.
-- Kakteen in Südamerika
- Enumeratio diag. Cact.
-- Enumeratio Diagnostica Cactearum hucusque cognitarum
- Kakt.u. a. Sukk.
-- Kakteen und andere Sukkulenten
- Arqu. Jard. Bot. Rio de Janeiro
-- Arqu. Jardin Botânico do Rio de Janeiro
- Verh. Ver. Beförd. Gartenb.
-- Verhandlungen des Vereins zur Beförderung des Gartenbaues in den königlich Preußischen Staaten
- Icon. Selt. Gew.
-- Iconographie Selterner Gewächse
- Explan. Diagr. Austroechinocactinae
-- Explanatory Diagram of Austroechinocactinae
- Bol. Soc. Arg. Bot.
-- Boletin de la Sociedada Argentina de Botánico
- Rev. S. Am. Bot.
-- Revista Sudamericana De Botanica
The entries for the first description and combination sources are listed in
different formats, depending on the format of the book, journal etc. An entry
Cact. Plat. Tentamen, 496-497, Buenos Aires 1905
means that the information can be found in the book Cactacearum Platensium
Tentamen starting on page 496 and continuing to page 497 and was published in
Buenos Aires in 1905.
An entry like:
Kakt. in Süd., 1:167, Spangenberg 1979
means that the information can be found in Kakteen in Südamerika
book 1 on page 167 and was published in Spangenberg in
An entry like:
Internoto 6 (4):99-103, 1985
means that the information can be found in Internoto volume 6
part 4 on pages 99-103 and volume 6 was published in 1985.
I have checked the accuracy of the first description and combination sources
and can guarantee all entries from the following sources:
As I do not, at the present time, have access to most of the older references,
I have tried to check that all of these entries are consistent in all of the
sources that I do have. If there are any differences, they are noted.
Many thanks to Ulrich Creutzburg
for helping me with these translations.
Any advice on making these documents easier to use for different native
language speakers, will be gratefully received.
- And Forms/Varieties from the following localities:
= Formen/Varietäten von folgenden Orten:
- Intermediate between ... and ... = Zwischen ... und ...
- Misspelling of ... = Schreibfehler von ...
- Near ... = Nahe bei ...
- Note: = Anmerkung:
- Only a name = Nur ein Name
- Prov. Desc.: = Vorläufige Arbeitsbeschreibung
- Provisional name for ... = Provisorischer Name für ...
- Reduced to a Form/Variety of ... = Reduziert zu Form/Varietät von ...
- Synonym of ... or ... = Synonym von ... oder ...
- Transferred to a Form/Variety of ... = Umkombiniert zu Form/Varietät von ...
- Transitional taxon between ... and ... = Übergangsart zwischen ... und ...
- Type species for Subgenus/Section ... = Leitart für Untergattung/Sektion ...
- ... has also been distributed under this name. = ... ist auch unter diesem Namen verbreitet.
Many thanks to
Rafael Alvarez for helping me
with these translations. Any advice on making these documents easier to use
for different native language speakers, will be gratefully received.
- And Forms/Varieties from the following localities:
= Y Formas/Variedades de las siguientes localidades:
- Intermediate between ... and ... =
Intermedio entre ... y ...
- Misspelling of ... = Mal deletreo de ...
- Near ... = Cerca ...
- Note: = Nota:
- Only a name = Solo un nombre
- Prov. Desc.: = Descripción provisional:
- Provisional name for ...
= Nombre provisional para ...
- Reduced to a Form/Variety of ... =
Reducido a una Forma/Variedad de ...
- Synonym of ... or ... = Sinónimo de ... o ...
- Transferred to a Form/Variety of ... =
Transferido a una Forma/Variedad de ...
- Transitional taxon between ... and ... =
Taxa de transición entre ... y ...
- Type species for Subgenus/Section ... =
Especies tipo para Subgénero/Secció n ...
- ... has also been distributed under this name. =
... ha sido también distribuida bajo este nombre.
| Classification (Buxbaum)
| Classification (IOS Consensus)
| Exchange ]
Site Created By: Mark Faint
Maintained With: HTML-Kit
HTML Checked By: Weblint, HTMLCheck, NSGMLS & SP Wizard
Last Modified: 28th May 2001
Comment (Email): Webmaster@mfaint.demon.co.uk
Comment (Form): Fill out a form